Thursday 2 February 2012

Shnat and Other Fun Stories

I woke up this morning to congealed black eye make-up and knots in my hair. Disjointed memories of my last night in South Africa (at least for a while) drifted through my mind.

The day that we had all been waiting for, some more patent than others, had finally arrived. Its hard to believe that I've kind of been planning this since I was 11 and first found out what Netzer was. Our flight leaves tonight, at about 8pm and, as usual, I'm procrastinating like a beast. I've kind of packed already, there's still a few things here and there that I need to shove into bags, but all in good time dear readers. Unfortunately, the universe has decided to make this the most unbearable experience ever, and I have hay fever. I'm itchy all over and buried almost knee deep in snotty tissues.

So... Shnat right?
What the hell is that?

Its a ten month gap year program, in Israel, for people who have just finished high school. The first four months are "Etgar" or "Machon". From what I understand its like informal education and stuff. The next three months you do volunteering, and the last three months are spent working on a kibbutz.

So, as one does, I'll be keeping a blog thingi of all my adventures in Israel and the Real World over the next few months. I'll try my hardest to write at least once a week or something. Even if I don't post it, I'll write it and post it as soon as possible. Dates and everything.

I will also be posting all about Life, Love and fun things to do on the internet here:

and obviously I have facebook and skype (kathryn.kitty) for chats and loads of pictures.

For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again. ~ Benjamin Button

Hamba Kgagle Mzanzi