Monday 12 August 2013

Tea and Toast

I guess I've always had some sort of existentialist side to myself, ever since I was little. I remember asking endless amounts of questions that no one could ever answer, and one I do remember, waaaaaay more vividly than the others, and that I never actually got the answer for was:
"Who invented the toaster?"

In case you were wondering it was
Charles Strite
Inventor
Charles Perkins Strite was an American inventor. He received U.S. patent #1,394,696 on October 18, 1920 for the pop-up bread toaster.

But my favourite question to ask, was why, and even to this day I love to sit with a nice cup of tea and a piece of toast and wonder what had to happen in the lives of people for them to invent things. Like the guy who discovered cheese. What on earth was he doing eating that bit of old milk?!

I'm quite the existentialist - modest too- but I always find myself asking "Why?" and not just about existential things like my existence and purpose, but also about things that I do and think are mundane, but have deep seated reasons and I like to figure them out. Like a scientist, proposing personal hypothesise.

Existentialism 
(ex·is·ten·tial·ism ) 
noun
A philosophy that emphasizes the uniqueness and isolation of the individual experience in a hostile or indifferent universe, regards human existence as unexplainable, and stresses freedom of choice and responsibility for the consequences of one's acts.

The most recent 'Hypothesis' I have proposed to myself, is one where I wonder what on earth fascinates me about the whole Television-Series-Thing.

I can bring it back to a few childhood memories. The first is watching an old, British, TV show called My Family every Wednesday with my Mom. This was tradition, and somehow there were enough episodes of My Family to watch for what feels like years and years of my life.
The second is watching the Emmy's every year. I absolutely love watching the Emmy's, and not because I'm obsessed with celebrities and whose the best etc, but rather for the first hour (or so) where they give the people behind the scenes awards - not to mention that the people who actually write the scripts for the award shows, are fantastic.
The writers, the directors and the producers. They're the ones who I'm the biggest groupie for. They're funny, and talented and spend so much time being able to articulate a concept and idea into the characters they develope, putting small snippets of themselves into each of them, watching them come to life on the screen.

I'm completely in awe and envy of those people, because all I've ever wanted is to be able to have the people and characters that I think of come alive and exist amongst the magnificent calibre of the greats. Often I think about weather otr not I'm on the right track in life, I wonder if this whole Design business if for me or if I should have just gone off to Rhodes to do journalism like I wanted to in the first place. I guess this is where the existentialism thing comes in. I'm always left wondering and unsure, a bit lost even, wondering if I made the right decsion going to Vega, or if I took the easy way out, and deviated from the path I'm meant to be on. But then, I have my own, personal, debate inside my head because I truly believe that things happen for a reason and that even the mistakes or bad decisions you make are planned and you're meant to be making them so that you can get to the place you're going to.
But is the point of life to get somewhere?
Isn't it all about the journey?

and in the great words of Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais (Screenplay)
Max's Father: Goddammit, Max! Get serious, for once! What are you going to DO with your life?
Max: Why is it always what will I do? "What will he do", "What will he do," "Oh, my god what will he do", Do, do, do, do, do. Why isn't the issue here who I am?
Uncle Teddy: Because, Maxwell, what you do defines who you are.
Max: No, Uncle Teddy. Who you are defines what you do. Right Jude?
Jude: Well, surely it's not what you do, but the, uh... the way that you do it.

This brings me to the first part of my new assignment:
"5 Pictures that represent your interest from a secondary source"

I hope you're ready for the next five posts about the best writers in the industry, because I know I am!

"Learn French or die"
&Kathryn